The Euros have officially begun! France knicked a win over Romania with an INSANE strike by 'Dimi' Payet. That man has unbelievable tekkers. I bet West Ham United feel like kings right now. But not only Payet was on fire in my opinion, I thought the whole midfield of 'Les Blues' was very decent and controlling.
However that is not the only headline that made the news. There was also a lot of news about the turmoils in Marseille. Mostly we hear about the English, because yeah if there's fighting we always seem to think it's the English that do this. But also the French and the Russians have a big part to play in what something I call absolutely shambolic and I want to explain why.

This blog is called Flares and Slipper for a reason. You might find it a bit hard to understand why I picked this name or you just don't know or you don't give a shit about why I've named it this way.
It's quite simple to be honest: I really like fanatic football culture. I like the match obviously, but the excitement of the crowd, the rivalry, the tension, the banter, the choreography, the flags, banners, fireworks. It gives me the chills very time I witness it.
The name 'Flares and Slippers' comes from Cockney Rejects' song 'Flares and Slippers. It just seem a funny name for my blog and it seems appropriate for this subject in my opinion.

There is a difference between fans, supporters and hooligans mind you. Something that is easily forgotten by the vast majority of the people

It's difficult to talk about this because there is a lot of controversy around football. There is a difference between fans, supporters and hooligans mind you. Something that is easily forgotten by the vast majority of the people and the way I see it, the best people are supporters.
People who are not really passionate about football and I mean people who aren't thinking about football 24/7, are sometimes very quick to react of have an opinion to label people as hooligans. That's something that hurts to be called to be fair, when you are absolutely not.

It's hard to explain as well. I'm a supporter who thinks football every moment of any given day. I love to be included in any supporter plans with my local club, but I also go out to other countries to see matches. I have absolutely no explanation for such things, but it drives me, it completes me and I'm terribly fanatic. I sometimes get carried away, get into the rivalries, banter, name calling and all that. The atmosphere is very contagious and it's probably not the thing you should be proud of, but I'm not embarrassed either mate.

The photo above is taken at a match between Austria Wien and Rapid Wien, last February. It's a very important, prestigious match and it's the biggest rivalry of Austria. I do enjoy the theatrics and the firework in the stadium. I don't the hate in the stadium and outside of it, as long nobody get physically hurt and people get on with there lives. It was one the most thrilling experiences of my life to see that match and wouldn't have missed it for the world to be honest.

But if there's one thing I don't do, it's the useless violence and destruction you've seen on the telly the other night. That's a line you don't cross. I think that's what makes the difference between hooliganism and plain fanatic supporting.

You might think I've completely got off my tits, but for me it's very important not to be seen as a hooligan. I don't interact and never will interact in the activities that involve hurting people, good people. I'm not going to destroy bars because of the fun of it. They have a feeling of superiority going to other countries and smashing the pubs and all that. Nah, man. I can't get that, it's way out of order. It's a terrible thing to see and of course the authorities are right to take action.

But the media take this into another frame and give the label of hooligan to every English or Russian person that is in France at this moment. The media create a stigma. The media give us supporters the label of hooligans, because we are somehow more fanatic than the want us to see and give us a bad name.
I condemn this violence, no question about it. But next time you speak of hooligans, just think about the differences. Not every lover of football is a hooligan, it's just a minority that cocks it all up for the rest.

Okay enough about this all, back to the football!!